Friday 4 July 2014

Quilts from gifted fabrics v2

Yesterday I showed you the green quilt mum and I made with the gifted fabrics. Today it's time to show you the blue quilt.



Photo taken in mum's garden in winter
I separated out all the fabrics that were mainly blue and put them all into this quilt. By then I had started making my Blue Garden quilt, so I suggested that we make another quilt with the same Rock n Roll pattern by Lyn Brown.



We initially chose a blue ombre for the sashing, but we didn't like it, so we just used the solid blue portion of it. The borders are a great Pacific style blue and green swirl.


Between mum and I we also made this quilt top over a couple of days, and then mum hand quilted it after I had returned to Wellington.

So, I had a very successful and productive July holiday last year. This July I'm only going to be in Auckland for 2 nights, so I don't know how much we can achieve in that short time. I'll keep you posted.

The facts:

The pattern is Rockin Roll by Lyn Brown
The finished quilt measures 60" x 76"



16 comments:

Dasha said...

Both of your quilts are lovely. Such cheerful, fresh fabrics. Looks a great pattern.

Marlene said...

Both quilts look great. Amazing what can come out of some donated fabrics. Sun is shining here in Akld so hope it's the same when you visit.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have fun and love both the quilts - you and your mum did a good job on them. Gifted fabric is the best isn't it it makes you feel like you made a quilt for free

Oops-Lah said...

I love both quilts, especially in your mum's beautiful garden setting. And of course the hand quilting makes it even more special.

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

What a delightful way to spend your time visiting with your mom. I love having a sewing buddy to work with. The time passes so nicely and it can be really handy to take turns sewing / pressing!

margaret said...

love this one too and have downloaded the pattern. Have 2 of the Linlott books so off to see if the green one is in either of those. all the fabrics are well delicious I think fits the bill best

Gina said...

Gorgeous. I love the border fabric xx

Lorraine said...

Another beauty but I think I'm partial to the green one!

Granny Maud's Girl said...

That was an amazing collection of fabrics you were given - two whole beautiful quilts!

Audrey said...

Beautiful quilt, Wendy! Thanks for sharing on TGIFF! Don't forget to point readers back to TGIFF by letting them know you linked there.

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

I'm so in awe of your hand quilting Wendy ... I think I'll get some tips from you when I finally finish piecing my FW quilt as I'd love to hand quilt it.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I just love that quilt!! The colors are just fabulous!!

inchworming said...

Wow! I'm impressed by your hand quilting! Loving the colors too!

Shauna said...

so pretty, I love it and your hand quilting is awesome

Sarah Craig said...

Such a beautiful quilt, Wendy! I love those colors - calm and peaceful, yet vibrant! Whoop whoop!!

Julianne said...

Beautiful! That border fabric is just perfect!