Friday 26 September 2014

My crazy patchwork elephant

There hasn't been a lot of sewing going on here this week because I've been sick. As I've got nothing new to show you, I thought I'd show you something I made a few years ago. This is my crazy patchwork elephant that lives in our lounge.


with his blanket on

Some of you have commented that my house must be filled with beautiful things, but just understand, this elephant sits beside the large flat screen TV, the MySky, the PS4, the PS3 and the WiiU (ie gaming central). I do have a few of my tasteful items scattered around the house amongst the nerf guns, shin pads, football gear and school books, but it will be a few years yet before I gain total control of the house.

without the blanket

I learnt to make this elephant at a class at Nancy's Embroidery about 5 years ago. It was taught by a lady who worked for Bernina at the time.

The class sample had been made from silk fabrics, but I didn't fancy working with silk, so I chose a range of cotton quilting fabrics that worked well together.



We were give templates and traced each them onto interfacing. We then did crazy patchwork over the templates until they were filled.  Most people did their crazy patchwork on their fancy machines, but I chose to do mine by hand using perle threads and a variety of embroidery stitches.



We put crushed granite in the base of each leg so the elephant would be stable and stand up easily. We stuffed the body and added the finishing touches such as the tail, the eyes and the blanket.  I got my braids from a wonderful shop in Wellington which has now closed down. It was called Scherazad Silks and was run by an old Sikh man who imported wonderful silks and braids. I really enjoyed choosing the braids for the blanket in that shop.

the other side

It was a challenge to make a 3 dimensional object. Getting the ears in just the right place was probably the hardest part, but I did really enjoy making this elephant. Now I look at him each night when I get to relax in front of TV at the end of the day.

The facts:
his back is 10" high
his trunk is 14" high
he is 17" long

28 comments:

Staci said...

How cute is the Elle? Pretty darn cute!!

NickiJ said...

He is so awesome! You are so talented.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

I hope you are soon feeling well again Wendy. I like the hand stitching using perle cottons - beautiful stitching!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

He's awesome, Wendy!!! Love your hand stitching and the little blanket with the beads.

Stitches and Seeds said...

He's lovely!

PugMom said...

I love your elephant! What a beautiful piece of needlework! Feel better!

Cheryl said...

Your elephant is just beautiful! I love all of the different fabrics you used and the different embroidery stitches.

Dasha said...

I love crazy patchwork, and making an elephant from it is an awesome idea. You have done a really lovely piece.

Lorraine said...

Your elephant is fabulous Wendy! Get better quickly :)

Wendy said...

oh wow, he's just fabulous! does he have a name? I love that you made him by hand, I think it makes him even more special.

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

What a great elephant! Love that tail too!

Wonky Patchwork said...

He's gorgeous, and your stitching really makes him extra special. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Ruth said...

He's really lovely, I'd have him on display in the living room too. Love the stitching and the clasp with his tail.

Anonymous said...

That elephant is just adorable! I know how you feel. I haven't gotten much done lately because my son has been sick. :( I hope you feel better soon!

Ann X said...

Love your elephant! He has some character and colours are stunning! You really have a great talent. Get well!

Leanne Parsons said...

He's very cute!

roxi said...

LOVE IT!!

Oops-Lah said...

Beautiful embroidery work on your elephant. Hope you feel better soon. And I had to laugh about the description of your boy's paraphernalia. You won't believe it now, but you will miss it when it's all gone!

Vicki said...

Gorgeous! What a special remembrance.

Lin's Quilts said...

This elephant is gorgeous! I'm amazed you posted pictures of him naked! (no blanket) Didn't he object?

margaret said...

what a creative piece he really is wonderful

Nana said...

This is a gorgeous elephant! Would love to run across the pattern. I am sure that this is a great conversation piece.

Liz said...

This is amazing! Beautiful handwork! I'm so impressed by your 3-d sewing abilities!

Granny Maud's Girl said...

You are such a rebel, Wendy, seeing it by hand! :)
I know what you mean about the ears – their placement (along with eyes) always seems critical as it can change the creature's expression.

Unknown said...

What a juwel!!!!!! I love the cottons you used. It could not be better in slik!
Love from Amsterdam.

DeborahGun said...

Oh he is so wonderful. I grew up in India and this just reminds me of my childhood home.

LA Paylor said...

this is absolutely wonderful. I am going to send your link to my sewing group to see what they could make! LeeAnna at Not afraid of color

Sue C said...

This is one of the lovliest things Ive seen in a long time