Monday 19 January 2015

New Zealand Quilt Symposium Manawatu 2014

Yesterday we took a drive up to Palmerston North to visit the New Zealand Quilt Symposium (about 130km or 80 miles), It's a five day event that only takes place very second year. There are excellent classes with local and international tutors, and there's a large quilt exhibition too.

I didn't enrol for any classes this year, but I've already decided that I will take at least one class at the next Symposium in 2017. The next one will be in Christchurch in October 2017. I might even aim to enter a quilt in the exhibition at the next symposium. I couldn't enter anything this time because the designs need to be original and all my work to date has used patterns. I need to get more adventurous!

Here are some of the quilts that caught my eye in the exhibition:

I never promised you a rose garden by Sheryl Anicich

Rural 1. by Robyn Croft


Learning to Speak: Thank you Karen. by Heather McLean

Dancing Disks by Barbara Johnston

Refraction Fiesta by Deb de Lorenzo


Argh my eyes!  by Adrianne Reid (of On the Windy Side blog)

Adrianne won the "Alive with Colour - Professional" section of the exhibition with this quilt. Congratulations Adrianne!


Hundreds and Thousands by Shirley Mooney

You can see more quilts from the exhibition on Shirley Mooney's blog Don't Wait to Create. Shirley has written a number of posts with photos from the exhibition.


It was 27C in Palmerston North so while I was at the symposium the rest of the family took a walk by the river and had fun at a pool. This is a new hydro slide which goes extremely fast.

The Lido Pool

When I look at the colours in this photo I can see why we make such colourful quilts in Australia and New Zealand. Nature provides such bright colours everywhere we look. The sky really is that blue in New Zealand.

Manawatu River







8 comments:

Melody said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful quilts.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I think you could definitely come up with a quilt to submit by 2017. I really enjoy making up my own quilt designs, and if nothing else it might be a fun new experience for you.

Granny Maud's Girl said...

I love the rose garden quilt! So many in that sort of design are in dark, heavy colours (like dancing disks) which are not my cup of tea, and it is so nice to see someone who likes cheerful colours choosing such a design. It has flowers and spots and stripes and gingham - oh, happy days!

Carol Q said...

wow stunning Wendy. thanks for sharing!

Blossom quilts & Crafts said...

It's always nice to read someone else post on the exhibition as I didn't notice some of your photographed quilts. Beautiful!

Dont Wait to Create said...

Hi Wendy, yes it was a fantastic exhibtion. I visited it three times and still managed to miss some. Adrienne's quilt won best theme interpretation not best professional in the alive with colour section. That award went to Anna Prussing for her Nightwatch.

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

Awesome selection of quilts Wendy, I love all the colour and circle or round patterns. Can't wait to see what you come up with for 2017 :)

Angie in SoCal said...

What gorgeous quilts! I especially like one and three. I've always wanted to go to NZ. Maybe someday. Thanks for showing us those quilts!