Saturday 16 May 2015

Bloggers' Quilt Festival - Mini Medallion

It's time for the Bloggers' Quilt Festival again, and once again I'm entering two quilts.

The first is my Mini Medallion, which I finished earlier this year.  I'm entering this quilt in the Hand Quilted section because I hand quilted it all with beautiful Perle 8 threads.




The hand quilting category was almost dropped from the Bloggers' Quilt Festival last year, but Amy listened to her audience and retained it.  I'm a member of the Celebrate Hand Quilting facebook group, and more and more people are turning to hand quilting to give their quilts a unique look. Celebrate Hand Quilting is a private facebook group, but anyone can ask to join, and the members are very supportive. There are more than 10,000 members in the group now, so hand quilting is alive and well.



This quilt is made from a free pattern which you can download from here.  I did it as a mystery quilt along, so I didn't know what it was going to look like until the final month.



I love bright colours so I used bright Perle 8s for the decorative quilting, and regular quilting cotton for quilting in the ditch.




Fortunately I had the perfect backing fabric in my stash.


Finished size: 36" x 36"

You can read more about this quilt in my earlier post here.  My other entry in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival is my Flower Garden table runner, and you can read all about that quilt here.



Voting isn't open yet, but I really encourage you to go and check out all the other quilts in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival. More and more will be added to the linkup until entries close on 21 May. Then voting will be open from 22 May until 29 May. Winners will be announced on 30 May.  It really is a great way to see a huge range of quilts from the comfort of your own home.

17 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It's a lovely quilt. Beautiful colors, pattern, piecing and best of all, hand quilting :)

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I think that your hand quilting adds a wonderful touch to the bright and modern quilt. I hope the festival is fun and good luck! :)

Quilting Babcia said...

I love your choice of colors and fabric patterns for this quilt, and the perle cotton is perfect for quilting this. Great job!

Quilting Babcia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stitchin At Home said...

What a beautiful quilt.

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Wendy, I love this quilt and the hand quilting you've done. The colors are so bright and cheerful. It makes me happy to know that there are still hand quilters out there.

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

I am so impressed with anything hand quilted and I'm so glad Amy decided to keep the category! This quilt is absolutely gorgeous! Good luck with your entry :)

Wendy said...

I know I've told you this before, but i love this quilt! The colours, the design and the beautiful hand quilting

Carol Q said...

a beautiful quilt Wendy. gorgeous colours. I'm very tempted to have a go at hand quilting.

Hilacha (loose strand) said...

Lovely colours. I've always thought that handquilting is intricate and painstaking, but I now see that it can be much simpler,yet effective. and I've never hand quilted anything, but I've registered for a workshop at Sisters this year to try my hand at it.

Writingmom said...

Love your use of color. Great quilt!

Johanna said...

You did an amazing job with the quilting! I just voted for yours!

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

I love your color palette. The quilting is just lovely. I love a mystery quilt. It's so fun to watch it develop as you make it.

OPQuilt said...

Beautiful work, and a lovely story. I just went and voted for yours in the Festival--hope it wins!

:) Elizabeth
opquilt.com

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

Your quilt is beautiful and has a joyous combination of colors and fabric. And I love your hand quilting. What a great idea to use such vivid looking thread.

Gazynia said...

Your quilt is fantastic!!! Beautiful colors:)

grapes and hearts said...

Love the bold colours and your handquilting really adds to the beauty! Very well done!!!