Tuesday 21 July 2015

Melbourne in winter

We arrived back yesterday from our holiday in Melbourne. We had a lovely time, but were quite surprised at how cold it was. We tend to think of Australia as always being hotter than New Zealand (except for Tasmania), but it was really cold in Melbourne while we were there.  Some days it only got to 9C (48F) and it rained a few days too.


Anyway, we put on our trusty black puffer jackets and got out and about. We covered most of the central city on foot and by tram.  We all went on a tour of the Melbourne Park Tennis Centre. I love watching the Australian Open each January, but I know it would be too hot for me to sit and watch court side. It's often between 30C and 35C (86F to 95F) when the Open is on, but it can even reach 40C (104F) some days.

I said "Hello" to all my favourites

We saw all the trophies in the cabinets, and saw in the mens' locker room too. There was a false floor laid on top of the playing surface in Rod Laver Arena. They use it for concerts in the off season. The arena has a retractable roof and holds 14,000 people.


On Sunday we went for a walk beside the Yarra River. There are lovely wide walk ways, and lots of tempting restaurants and street entertainers beside the river.



Sorry that these photos aren't the best, but I didn't want to lug my camera around.

Of course I did manage to visit a few fabric shops too.  First up was Amitie Textiles which Jen Kingwell owns. They had beautiful fabrics - mainly lighter colours and florals.  I was very restrained and didn't buy very much because I had ordered a mixed pack from them a few weeks earlier. The fabrics on the right are fat 16ths, yes, just very small pieces, but that's what Jen uses in a lot of her quilts. I saw beautifully hand quilted quilts in the shop. They use Perle 8 like I do, but they take very small stitches, where I tend to do bigger stitches. I think I'll try for smaller stitches in my next quilt.
 

On the way back from Amitie I went to L'Uccello, which is a real treasure trove for lovers of Liberty and French General.  I'm probably the only person who has ever walked out of there with such a bright collection of wool felt and Kaffe Fassett.


The third shop I went to was GJ's Discount Fabrics in Fairfield. It was quite a way out of the city, but we made it there via a combination of trams and buses.  Once again, my choices were quite bright, but I also got some useful black and white fabrics. Yes, I bought 10 fat quarters of Art Gallery Oval Elements.


There are many beautiful arcades in Melbourne too, with so many tiny shops to explore.  Here's one of them. We spent a fair bit of time in Emporium Melbourne, but couldn't afford most of what was offer there.


Those who follow football will know that Real Madrid are currently in Melbourne to play some exhibition matches. My husband and one son went to see them on Saturday night and loved the football and the experience at the MCG.




8 comments:

margaret said...

how good to see the photos, reminded me of when I lived there in the 70`s and 2 other visits but not been since 2002. As you say it can be very cold there, I recall that the summer can often be disappointing too. Some ovely fabrics you have there, the Kaffe ones really caught ly eye and the black and white too

Julie said...

I know when I went to Melbourne many years ago, I was amazed at how cold it got too. Your fabric purchases look great - those shops are on my must visit list one day.

Granny Maud's Girl said...

As we missed each other by less than a fortnight, I know what you mean. It was much warmer when I visited - it was in double digits!
Yes, the tennis season can be a stinker. When we lived in Melbourne, my tennis-fan gran came to visit us during the tennis and it was 42. Erk. I much prefer Melbourne in winter.
I will have to visit Amitie next time I am there.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have been hearing of the cold temps in Australia which really do not sound too cold to me for being winter, but I know they are used to a warmer winter. It was fun for sure I bet wandering everywhere and seeing things. I always love to look through the shops when we travel but you are right so often the prices are above the budget!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Look at that stash haul :) and I adore looking at photos as you shared with us...I'll likely never get to Australia and it is always good to see these personalized photos of others...its like a little tiny bit of voyeurism vacation style :)
You son is so handsome!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time. And picked up some great treasures along the way. :)

Linda Steele said...

It was lovely reading about your Melbourne holiday. I live here and still haven't got around to visiting GJ's, I must go.

HeathersSewingRoom said...

I am pleased you enjoyed Melbourne. Isn't it a pretty city with character. I think L'uccello will have to go one the places to visit.